Monday, February 11, 2008

Report from the Herdsman on Loading Heavy Pigs



Tomorrow are sending 10 of our biggest pigs to slaughter. Here's the report from the herdsman - a guy who is 60+ years old:
10 biggest pigs loaded. We did 4 passes to sort out the biggest.

I couldn't have done without my Grandson's help.. Its no fun
to be ran over by a 500+ lb pig in the pig shit mud!
Of course, if we were running pigs the modern way, with total confinement, there wouldn't be any mud, and the pigs wouldn't be able to run you over.

When you get run over by those pigs, it hurts. You might even get a permanent injury. And something about that "pig shit mud": once it gets on your skin it stinks for days. When you eat your meals, you smell it. If it gets on your boots, they seem to stink for good.

So when I eat my bacon, I really appreciate all the work that Gary does. Because I know that it is a very difficult and nasty job.

No comments: