Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mangalitsa and Chef Schneller

Chef Schneller's roasts.

I don't know how I missed this, but Chef Schneller, who teaches butchery at the CIA visited Mosefund and wrote about it:
My grandfather Karl Schneller grew up in the southeastern portion of Austrian, near the Hungarian border. My Aunt Mary was born in Hungary and our family has a long food history that maintains many of the specialties from that area of the world. My father would make Speck in his butcher shop that was the same as my Austrian grandfather made. The Mangalitsa is a breed of hog from this part Europe. It is considered by many as the best tasting pork in Europe and is prized for its fat. It is unique in that it has a thick sheep-like wooly coat and does very well in colder climates.
That's really something. I'm guessing his family is from Burgenland. In Burgenland today, there's people producing traditional products from Mangalitsa, like these and these.

No comments: