Friday, September 17, 2010
Bryce Lamba, aka Mangalitsa Chef gave me his Mangalitsa lard-based pizza dough recipe. It is similar to Jimmy Fiala's focccacia recipe, in that it uses Mangalitsa lard.
Actually, he didn't "give" me the recipe. He sent it to me, and then the next time he saw me, he essentially coerced me into giving him a packet of Rufus's excellent Mangalitsa ham. It was my last packet, which (like the last stick of gum) is worth 5x every previous packet.
Foodista Recipes (with photos) are here:
Mangalitsa Speck Pizza
Mangalitsa Speck and Chanterelle Pizza
Fig and Mangalitsa Speck Pizza
1 1/4 C warm water or beer
1 tsp dry active yeast
1 pinch sugar (1/4 tsp)
1 C all purpose flour
Mix above ingredients and place in warm spot in kitchen for thirty
2 C all purpose flour
4 Tbl Mangalitsa lard
1/4 tsp salt or more if desired
1) Mix all ingredients together and form into a ball. Place in non reactive container.
2) Pour 1 Tbl olive oil on top to cover dough.
3) Wrap container in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4) Remove dough from cooler 30 minutes to one hour before using and bring up to room temperature.
5) Punch down and divide into for equal parts. Roll into a dough
ball. Using a little extra flour roll out into pizza skins and grill
or BBQ until skins set up.
6) Top with favorite ingredients and finish in oven or grill.
Alternately bake on pizza stone in oven.
Posted by Heath Putnam at 9:02 PM