Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Fatback Collective's Memphis in May Mangalitsas

These pigs (now slaughtered, gutted and cooling out) will hopefully bring victory to the Fatback Collective at the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Competition.

To my knowledge (which tends to be accurate on this topic), this is the first time anyone has entered Mangalitsa pigs in a barbecue competition in the Western Hemisphere. I asked the herdsman to take a picture of them for posterity's sake.

These pigs were bred in Iowa, fattened in Iowa and Missouri and they'll get eaten in Tennessee.

They look quite exotic to me. If I was entering the competition with a regular pink pig and I saw these - and then read this sort of stuff - I'd be concerned.

I'm hoping the pigs do so well that competitive barbecue enthusiasts all decide that they need to "Mangalitsa up" in order to win.

No comments: