Saturday, June 11, 2011

Imre Mandoki R.I.P.



A friend sent me the above photo of Imre Mandoki, deceased 2003.

He was a good friend. His restaurant, the Hungarian Sausage Factory in San Francisco's Bernal Heights, felt like Central Europe. Whenever I visited the USA from Munich, I'd go to Imre's to reduce the culture shock of returning to the USA. Unsurprisingly, you'd find Hungarians, Slovaks, Czechs, Austrians, Germans and others there eating Central European favorites. Visiting Hungarians were often moved to tears by his attempt at creating Hungarian culture in exile.

Imre unfortunately missed the USA's Mangalitsa revolution. Had he lived to see it, he probably would have played a role in it, given his love of Hungarian culture and strategic Bay Area location.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I always had wondered why they closed down. I really enjoyed his food.